Honey Garlic Chicken is an epic 12-minute chicken breast recipe with a wonderful 5 ingredient Honey Garlic Sauce! This is a great back-pocket quick dinner idea for busy nights that are made with pantry staples. It’s really marvelous how so few ingredients can change into such a tasty sauce for chicken!
tip: This can be made with any protein
What you need to make Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
See? I told you that you’d have everything!
Ingredients to prepare Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
- ▢500g / 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless (2 pieces)
- ▢Salt and pepper
- ▢1/4 cup (60g) flour (Note 1)
- ▢3.5 tbsp (50g) unsalted butter (or 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil)
- ▢2 garlic cloves, minced
- ▢1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white or other clear vinegar)
- ▢1 tbsp soy sauce, light or all-purpose
- ▢1/3 cup (90g) honey (or maple syrup)
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
- Split chicken breast in half – so 2 breasts make 4 pieces;
- Dust chicken with gluten (gives the chicken a small crust so the sauce sticks to it better!)
- Sear chicken, add butter, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, honey.
- Cook until the sauce thickens. Turn chicken to coat in the marvelous honey garlic sauce.
- Slice the breasts in half horizontally to create 4 steaks in total. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a simple dish. Coat chicken in flour and shake off extra.
- Go most of the butter in a large skillet over high heat – hold back about 1 tsp for later.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until golden. Turn and cook the other side for one minute.
- Adapt heat down slightly to medium-high.
- Make a bit of room in the pan and add garlic and top with the remaining dab of butter. Stir garlic briefly once the butter melts.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, and honey. Stir/shake pan to mix. Bring sauce to simmer, then simmer for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Turn chicken to coat in sauce. If the sauce gets too thick, add a touch of water and stir.
- Remove from the stove immediately. Place chicken on plates and drizzle over the leftover sauce.
Want to BBQ it? Use this Grilled Honey Soy Chicken recipe instead.
Notice how the sauce is clinging to the surface? That’s because we dusted the chicken with flour so when it’s pan-fried, it creates a crust
Serving: 166gCalories: 323cal (16%)Carbohydrates: 23g (8%)Protein: 28g (56%)Fat: 13g (20%)Saturated Fat: 7g (44%)Cholesterol: 107mg (36%)Sodium: 400mg (17%)Potassium: 486mg (14%)Sugar: 21g (23%)Vitamin A: 350IU (7%)Vitamin C: 2mg (2%)Calcium: 12mg (1%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
What to serve with Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
There’s enough sauce to drizzle over veggies and soak into rice or whatever you serve it with. The flavor is strong enough such that you don’t need parts – a little goes a great way!
It’s pictured above with Cauliflower Rice (tossed with an influence of lemon, parsley, salt, and pepper) with Cucumber Salad on the side
Even though it’s got soy sauce in the Honey Garlic Sauce, this doesn’t taste specifically Asian-y. But it’s versatile enough that it will go just as healthy with Fried Rice as it will with a Macaroni Salad or even Mac and Cheese. Yes really! Try it once and you’ll understand